A robbery and kidnapping suspect, who escaped from a North Carolina prison two weeks ago after threatening a detention officer with a weapon he made out of a toothbrush, has been found decapitated.
A hunter discovered the headless body of Kelvin Singleton on April 7 as he walked through the woods in Bertie County – 15 miles away from the Chowan County Detention Center. His head is still missing.
The 26-year-old inmate was found naked and his body was partly decomposed.
Chowan County sheriff Dwayne Goodwin told the New York Daily News that Singleton’s body was identified by authorities on Tuesday.
‘We have interviewed a ton of people,’ Goodwin said. ‘We don’t have a motive or anything at this point — no suspect, no motive.’
Bertie County Sheriff John Holley told the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald that the inmate’s headless body had been in a open field near Ashland Church Road for roughly a week.
Singleton broke free from the detention facility by using a handmade weapon to force the officer to release him while he was being moved around after visitation, authorities said.
The officer was unharmed.
‘He used what we believe to be a makeshift shank – a knife made out of a toothbrush,’ Sheriff Dwayne Goodwin told WAVY.
Singleton forced the guard to open two locked security doors before fleeing through a delivery area at the rear of the jail, Goodwin told the station.
Search dogs were deployed and combed the area, including woods and abandoned houses, Goodwin said in a statement.
The K9-unit was not able to pick up a strong scent because of rain in the area, according to WTKR.
Singleton had been in jail since January, after he allegedly robbed an Edenton tobacco store and held the clerk at gunpoint.
Police said Singleton demanded money from the clerk at Pearls Tobacco Plus, forced him to go outside and then tried to get the clerk to enter his own car.
When the clerk refused, Singleton allegedly took the man’s keys and drove off in the vehicle.
Singleton was charged with armed robbery and second-degree kidnapping. He was also facing charges in Charlotte, including assault with a deadly weapon.
Goodwin said Singleton was scheduled to be extradited to Charlotte for those charges.
Authorities said at the time that there was no evidence that Singleton was ‘aided by anybody’ during his escape.
Police checked on both his grandmother and sister, who both live in Edenton. Goodwin said it was determined that they were not complicit in his escape, noting that their cars are not missing.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3537860/Missing-North-Carolina-inmate-naked-decapitated-nearby-field-two-weeks-escaped-prison-weapon-toothbrush.html#ixzz466S0Rfin
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook