Man loses NFL bet, then accidentally sets himself on fire

VERO BEACH, Florida – A 27-year-old man was rushed to the Indian River Medical Center after suffering second and third-degree burns after watching the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers game in Vero Beach.
The Indian River County Sheriff’s Office received a call about the incident around 9:00 p.m. Sunday from a home in the 600 block of 9th Street in Vero Beach.

Residents at the home said the family was watching the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers game when someone put on a jersey that was set on fire. The man was taken to the hospital by another family member.

At the hospital, deputies spoke with a couple who also admitted they were watching the NFL game and placed a bet and agreed to burn the losing team’s jersey. However, the man decided to wear the jersey as it was burning.

When the woman’s team won, her husband went outside to light his jersey on fire. He told deputies that he was drunk and tried to put the jersey on while it was burning.

Family members pulled the jersey off the man at the Vero Beach residence and rushed him to the Indian River Medical Center.

The man suffered third-degree burns on his right arm and right hand and second-degree burns to his back.

%d bloggers like this: