Uncategorized

SWOPcast With Phoenix Calida

Experts Believe a Serial Killer Is Behind 51 Unsolved Strangulation Cases in Chicago

This. Is. Horrifying.

image

KATIE BUCKLEITNER

A fresh look into dozens of unsolved strangulation homicides in Chicago suggests that the murders could be the work of a serial killer who’s been targeting women in the city since at least 2001.

Crime experts with the Murder Accountability Project, a D.C.-based nonprofit group that tracks unsolved homicides in the United States, used a web algorithm to map 51 unsolved strangulation cases that took place on the west and south sides of Chicago between 2001 and 2018. The 51 murders have striking similarities: all the victims were women, most were discovered outside in a public place, 76 percent were black, and 75 percent of the crimes had a “clear sexual component,” according to an analysis by Thomas Hargrove, head of the Murder Accountability Project.

Hargrove performed his in-depth analysis of Chicago’s strangulation cases at the request of WBBN, a CBS affiliate in Chicago, back in February 2019 because his group “has a knack for finding patterns in unsolved murder cases.” He analyzed information about thousands of homicide victims and the way they died, ultimately identifying 51 cases with strong similarities that are now the focus of this investigation. Hargrove told WBBN that the algorithm he used to map these 51 cases is “essentially a serial-killer detector,” which has been used to help solve serial murders in other cities before.

 

Kildare judge jails Sex Workers for nine months

GARDAI RAIDED BROTHEL IN NEWBRIDGE

Kildare judge jails brothel pair for nine months

The case was heard at Naas District Court yesterday

Two women who were operating a brothel in Newbridge, have been jailed for nine months at Naas District Court yesterday.

The pair, Adrina Podaru, 25, and Ana Tomascu, 20, were living in 6 Canning Place, Newbridge when it was raided on November 18, 2018 last following complaints by locals.

The pair were charged with keeping or running a brothel, and evidence was given to the court by the gardai that the pair were also the prostitutes. Gardai entered the premises using a search warrant having had the premises under surveillance for some time.

At the scene, the women admitted that they were working as prostitutes, offering sexual services for money, and signed statements to that effect.

The court heard that there were no clients at the brothel at the time that gardai raided it. No significant money was found at the scene either.

“Was business that bad?” Judge Desmond Zaidan asked.

“It was early in the night,” Sgt Jacob told the court.

Gardai say the women have not come to any attention since then. One of the pair, Ms Podaru is currently expecting a child with her partner.

Their solicitor told the court that the women hope to return to their native Romania once the trial is concluded and to avoid bringing any embarrassment to their families. And gardai were satisfied that this was the case.

Their solicitor said that the women had a sum of money available that could be paid to a charity.

But Judge Desmond Zaidan was not inclined to give them this opportunity. “They weren’t forced into this position.

He sentenced the pair to nine months in prison.

Ms Podaru has lodged an appeal and has been released on bail.

%d bloggers like this: