Category: #GoodCops

Cop casually threatens to murder black man, his colleagues laugh

A video posted to Facebook also shows a police officer in the U.K. Terrorizing a black man. In the video the officer can be heard  asking Jack Chambers “You’re going to go Black Lives Matter on us, are you?”

Chambers can be heard replying, “Yeah”, as the surrounding officers laugh.

The officer is then heard saying: “You would be the first one I’d shoot if I had a gun, definitely,” to which the Chambers replies: “Oh f***ing hell.”

It was unclear why police visited the man’s house. A spokesperson for the force said the “racial comments” were made during a search of a premises in Coventry on August 24th.

Chambers has since filed an official complaint and Officers from West Midlands Police’s Professional Standards Department are now investigating the incident.

Assistant Chief Constable Alex Murray said: “What was said was not right and the officer has been removed from front line duties pending further assessment, but The officer has already expressed remorse and is very apologetic over his comments.”

#GoodCop, William Burford Is Another Rapist

A New Orleans Police Department officer was arrested Saturday (Sept. 9) and accused of raping a Kenner woman while she was intoxicated.

William Burford, a 28-year-old probationary officer with NOPD, was booked with third-degree rape, said Lt. Brian McGregor, spokesman for the Kenner Police Department.

Burford and the 20-year-old victim know each other through mutual friends, according to authorities. The woman told police she had been asleep in a bed at a Kenner residence after drinking for several hours with him and others, an arrest report said.

Resources for sexual assault survivors in New Orleans

Resources for sexual assault survivors in New Orleans

The New Orleans Family Justice Center, University Medical Center and Children’s Hospital all offer services for survivors.

She woke to find Burford on top of her. She wasn’t able to push him off because of his weight and her intoxicated state, McGregor said.

The woman went to a hospital on Saturday. Staffers contacted Kenner police to report the rape.

When questioned by investigators Burford told police the sex was consensual, according to McGregor.

“He knew she was intoxicated,” McGregor said. “He thought it was ok. I don’t know what led him to believe that.”

Kenner investigators booked Burford with third-degree rape because the victim was impaired and unable to put up any resistance to his actions, McGregor said.

Burford was booked into the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center in Gretna. He was released Sunday on a $25,000 bond.

Burford has been placed on emergency suspension without pay while the incident is investigated by the department’s Public Integrity Bureau, NOPD spokesman Beau Tidwell said.

“The allegations against Mr. Burford in no way reflect the values of the NOPD,” Tidwell said.

Burford was hired by NOPD in December 2015 and graduated from the police academy with Class 176 in October 2016. Tidwell said Burford was working in NOPD’s Fifth District which polices Bywater, Lower 9th Ward and Upper 9th Ward.

Tidwell confirmed Burford is a probationary officer. NOPD recruits who graduate from the academy work for a period of time as a probationary officer before they obtain civil service protections.

Including Buford, at least four current or former members of NOPD recruit classes who went through the academy in 2016 have been arrested in the New Orleans metro area.

In March of this year, Justin Hammonds, then 29, was arrested by the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office and booked with domestic abuse battery. Hammonds was an NOPD recruit at the time — a member of Class 179, which graduated in July 2017. The department dismissed Hammonds March 21, Tidwell said.

In October 2016, Jacob Dye, then 21, was accused of breaking into a Mandeville hair salon and arrested by Mandeville police on a burglary charge. Dye was an NOPD recruit at the time — a member of Class 175, which graduated in July 2016. Dye resigned Oct. 14, 2016, while he was under investigation by the Public Integrity Bureau, Tidwell said.

In February 2016, Gerald Elwood III, then 28, was booked with DWI after NOPD said he tried to drive around a multi-vehicle traffic crash on Interstate 10. Elwood was a recruit at the time — also member of Class 175. NOPD dismissed Elwood May 20, 2016, Tidwell said.

NOPD 'may be' accepting unqualified recruits, feds say

NOPD ‘may be’ accepting unqualified recruits, feds say

Of 137 recruit files reviewed, federal monitors found “risk indicators” for 59 applicants, including a prior arrest by NOPD.

A team of federal monitors issued a report this January criticizing NOPD’s hiring practices. The team, which audited recruit files as part of its federal consent decree oversight duties, said the department overlooked “risk indicators” and that NOPD “may be accepting candidates into the academy who should not be NOPD officers.”

After the federal monitors published the report, NOPD Superintendent Michael Harrison told reporters the department had already started addressing issues with documentation noted by the report. He said NOPD also added new accountability measures, including mechanisms to give investigators who perform background checks more time if they need it.

Senator Derryn Hinch uses parliamentary privilege to name ‘monster’ cop who raped children

Crossbench senator Derryn Hinch has used the legal protection of the Senate to name a paedophile policeman who sexually brutalised nine children during his 12 years in the force.

The Victorian policeman was jailed for 19 years with a minimum of 15 last year, for raping and abusing nine children over a 16-year span.

Despite being handed one of the state’s longest sentences for sexual offences in history, the former policeman has never been named.

Fairfax Media has chosen not to identify the former officer at this time as it is believed a judicial suppression of his victims’ identities is still in place.

This is despite pleas from a number of his victims who say they want to share publicly their stories of horrific abuse at the hands of the convicted paedophile, in the hope other survivors will come forward.

“I am going to tell you a horror story tonight,” Senator Hinch said in Parliament on Tuesday evening.

“About a five-year-old girl … Raped almost daily.

“When this child rapist was sentenced, the County Court judge suppressed his name supposedly to protect the identity of his victims.”

“Even though three of his victims asked the court to name him because they believed more victims would come forward if they knew it was him and he was behind bars.”

“The community deserves to know the name of the man accurately described as ‘a monster’.”

Senator Hinch went on to detail the man’s abhorrent crimes, including how he assaulted another child in a room at a police station, and sexually abused another little girl who had lost her mother at a carnival in the back of a police divisional van.

The County Court heard last year Victoria Police failed to act on complaints about the policeman and instead the organisation forced the officer to resign in 1979.

Senator Hinch said the man then went on another reign of terror, sexually assaulting and raping children for at least another four years in New South Wales.

The man, now 67, worked as a police officer between 1967 and 1979, during which time he preyed on boys and girls, often in his uniform and under the pretext of police duties.

One of his victims told Fairfax Media she was just five years old when he held a police revolver to her temple and raped her.

The sexual abuse continued until she was 15.

“Some nights I would just pray I wouldn’t wake up in the morning … that somehow my heart would just stop beating,” she said.

The victim said under Victoria’s Judicial Proceedings Reports Act, her abuser could not be named throughout the County Court case last year.

The act suppresses the name of an accused, if it could lead to indirect identification of a victim.

However, the victim said she wanted the convicted paedophile “named and shamed” so he was held accountable for his crimes.

“I want to be identified, I want my story told, but the court has prevented that from happening,” the victim said.

“I found the [court] process re-traumatising … I had fought for so long for justice and I felt protecting his name in court was protecting him and his reputation from what he had done … it wasn’t protecting us.”

“Standing up in court, looking him in the eye, and reading my victim impact statement was the most rewarding and empowering thing I have ever done in my life.”

“I told him: ‘You can’t hurt anyone anymore, you won’t be able to touch another kid for as long as you live’.”

The woman was one of a number of the man’s victims who flew to Canberra to watch Senator Hinch deliver his speech in Parliament.

“To have his name out there for the horrific things he did to me and others is closure for me,” she said.

It is not the first time Senator Hinch has used parliamentary privilege to name and shame convicted child sex offenders.

Senator Hinch, who recently succeeded in securing government support to tear up paedophiles’ passports, is also lobbying for a national child sex offender register.

Suspended Lake County cop accused in rape case pleads ‘not liable’ to disciplinary charges

A suspended Lake County officer accused of rape in criminal charges pleaded not liable to his disciplinary charges Thursday.

Nicholas Medrano, 34, of Crown Point, was indicted by a Lake County grand jury in June on two counts of rape, attempted rape, criminal confinement and sexual battery.

At Lake County Sheriff John Buncich’s request, the Lake County Sheriff’s Police Merit Board suspended Medrano last month without pay as his criminal charges are pending.

Buncich filed four disciplinary charges against Medrano, including violating state law; committing conduct unbecoming (of) an officer of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department; failing to treat another officer or civilian or any person civilly and courteously; and committing acts which bring or tend to bring the individual and the Lake County Sheriff’s Department into disrepute.

Medrano pleaded “not liable” to each of the four charges at a special merit board meeting Thursday to address the topic.

The board scheduled a status hearing on the disciplinary charges Sept. 28.

Medrano previously pleaded not guilty in July to his criminal charges. His alleged crimes occurred between Jan. 10, 2013, and June 30, 2014, with a “professional co-worker,” according to Lake County court records and Indiana State Police.

Medrano’s attorney, Paul Stracci, said the woman is not an employee of the Lake County Sheriff’s Department.

Medrano appears in court again on the criminal charges Aug. 29.

He has been with the sheriff’s department for more than 10 years.

Police K-9 left in patrol vehicle at Brevard courthouse dies

Police are in touch with the State Attorney’s Office about possible charges after a police K-9 left inside a patrol SUV at the Melbourne courthouse Friday later died.

  • Sebastian Police K-9 was left in patrol vehicle at Brevard courthouse
  • Authorities responded to officer’s home, where dog was dead in vehicle
  • Temperature in Melbourne on Friday was 88 degrees
  • JUMP TO: INTERACTIVE GRAPHIC: How hot can your vehicle get?

Diesel had only been with the force for about a year, and now his partner could be facing animal cruelty charges in his death.

“This is a tremendously sad day, personally and professionally,” said Commander John Blackledge of the Sebastian Police Department.

Investigators say the officer, whose name isn’t being released, was involved in a court hearing at the Brevard County Courthouse in Melbourne.

What’s still unclear is how long he was there, and how long was Diesel in his patrol SUV.

Questions remain about the SUV itself, equipped with air conditioning and other sensor equipment designed to protect the dog inside should something go wrong.

“I don’t know what the circumstances were in this situation, we will find out during the investigation,” said Commander Blackledge.
Diesel had been with Sebastian Police Dept. for about a year. (Sebastian Police Dept.)

An emergency call was made at about 7:30 that night, according to heavily redacted police documents.

The dog was dead in the vehicle when authorities responded to the officer’s Melbourne home.

The dog’s death appears to be accidental, they said.

“It’s a sad, sad situation, because K-9s put their heart and soul into working with us and give us everything,” Melbourne Police Lt. Chery Trainer said. “It’s devastating for anyone, so our hearts go out to Sebastian.”

The high temperature was 88 degrees on Friday. However, at that outside temperature, the inside temperature of a vehicle can reach 130 degrees in about an hour.

News 13 was told the officer is off-duty for the next couple days, normal days off.

His work status is up in the air until Melbourne Police complete their investigation, and after that, Sebastian PD does an internal investigation of its own.

Brevard County Animal Services is also involved. A necropsy is planned to determine exactly how the dog died

Killer cop Clifford Proctor charged with domestic

A Los Angeles police officer who shot and killed an unarmed man in Venice is now facing new allegations: that he committed domestic violence against two women in Orange County.

Prosecutors have charged Clifford Proctor with misdemeanor battery in connection with a September incident in Huntington Beach, marking the latest controversy to embroil the nine-year LAPD veteran.

The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office is weighing whether to charge Proctor in the 2015 shooting of homeless Brendon Glenn during a scuffle near the Venice boardwalk. The killing was one of the most high-profile shootings by Los Angeles police in recent years and prompted Beck — for the first time as chief — to recommend criminal charges against an officer in an on-duty shooting. Proctor claimed Glenn was reaching for his partners gun and was in fear for his life, although video evidence didn’t support this allegation. The LAPD has since been engaged in a 4 million dollar settlement with Glenn’s family.

The D.A.’s office thus far has declined to file charges, citing the “nominal basis for criminal liability” and the fact that the alleged financial loss fell short of the threshold of a felony. District attorney’s officials instead referred the case to city prosecutors, who said there was insufficient evidence to warrant a criminal filing.

During his career, Proctor has been the subject of at least one other criminal inquiry, focused on whether he filed a false police report after making an arrest in November 2012, according to another D.A.’s memo. Although Proctor had omitted witness statements from the report — because they conflicted with what the victim had said, he told a detective — prosecutors ultimately decided he hadn’t committed a crime.

Proctor appeared in a Westminster, Calif., courtroom April 21 for a hearing related to the domestic abuse charges, to which he has pleaded not guilty.

The circumstances surrounding the domestic violence charges are unclear; at least one of the women has sought a restraining order against Proctor, but the request was sealed by the court. Neither woman has been identified.

Outside the courthouse, he declined to comment on the charges, except to say he did not see a correlation with the shooting being reviewed in Los Angeles.

Michael Slager to plead guilty to civil rights violation, avoids murder charge

Michael Slager,  a white former South Carolina police officer will plead guilty Tuesday in a federal civil rights case over the fatal shooting of unarmed black motorist Walter Scott.

According to the plea agreement, Slager will plead guilty to one federal charge of violating Scott’s civil rights. In exchange, two other federal charges against him will be dropped, as will a state murder charge. The civil rights violation can include a sentence of life in prison, but prosecutors are expected to ask for a more lenient sentence.

Slager was an officer for the North Charleston Police Department when he pulled Scott over for a broken tail light. A few moments later, Scott ran away.

A foot chase ensued, and a bystander’s cell phone video captured Slager firing eight times — striking Scott several times in the back.

The footage became a rallying point of protests nationwide against a series of high-profile deaths of African Americans at the hands of police, including Eric Garner in Staten Island, N.Y., and Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo.

In the days after the shooting, federal prosecutors alleged that Slager “knowingly and intentionally misled” state investigators in his account of the shooting.

The defense in Slager’s first trial claimed the former North Charleston police department patrolman feared for his life and fired in self-defense. After a mistrial, the prosecution vowed to bring Slager to trial again.

Slager’s lawyer, Andrew Savage, said the former police officer will plead guilty to deprivation of rights under color of law.

“We hope that Michael’s acceptance of responsibility will help the Scott family as they continue to grieve their loss,” Savage said in a statement. Sentencing has not yet been scheduled, Savage said.