Category: Social Issues

Ya’ll Better Go See Proud Mary With Taraji P Henson.

Phoenix And William went to see this film 1/13/18 and we really want you to take children to  see this.

You’re Not In A “Panic” When You Are Murdering A Trans Woman

Miss Trans America found murdered at Massachusetts home

Her 47-year-old husband is to be arraigned this morning on a murder charge.

The two wed last year after moving to North Adams. Prior to the move, they lived in Adams for three years.

Christa Leigh was known for founding and running Miss Trans New England and Miss Trans America pageants.

She is believed to be the first transgender woman killed in the US this year.

A Mason teacher told this 13-year-old he might be lynched. The child didn’t tell his mom for a week.

The incident happened in front of the child’s class in December, according to his mother, Tanisha Agee-Bell. Mason Schools spokeswoman Tracey Carson confirmed the incident occurred in teacher Renee Thole’s classroom.

Trump Administration Will Let States Require People To Work For Medicaid

The Trump administration is encouraging states to require “able-bodied” Medicaid recipients to work or volunteer in order to keep their health insurance coverage.

On Thursday, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which is part of the Department of Health and Human Services, issued new guidelines for states that want some adults to work in exchange for the health insurance coverage.

Drunk mom crashes with 2-year-old in car, cops say. But that wasn’t the worst of it

The Florida Highway Patrol arrested Brianna Dee Knox, 28, of Beverly Hills, on charges including driving under the influence, child neglect, leaving the scene of a crash and battery on a law enforcement officer.

Knox drove recklessly and crashed into four cars on I-4 at about 5 p.m. Tuesday, the FHP said. Knox’s red 2001 Honda broke down under an overpass, then she got out of the car and started acting “erratically and disturbed,” the FHP said.

Elderly couple tries to make Christmas green again, gets busted with 60 pounds of marijuana

York County, Nebraska- When deputies in York County stopped a Toyota Tacoma after it crossed the center line and the driver failed to signal, they thought the traffic stop would be normal. Instead, deputies said they immediately smelled what appeared to be marijuana.

When drug-sniffing dogs confirmed their suspicion, officers searched the pickup and found the weed in boxes inside the pickup topper, the newspaper reported. At that point, the owner of the vehicle, 80 year old Patrick Jiron, admitted to having mairijuana in the back of his truck.

Jiron was arrested on charges of possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver and having no drug tax stamp, both felonies. He has since posted 10 percent of his $100,000 bond and has been released. His wife, Barbara Jiron was also cited in the case but was not jailed “due to some medical issues.”

(It has also been clarified that Barbara Jiron’s age is 70. The sheriff’s department inadvertently originally said her age was 83.)

Lt. Vrbka said the Jirons acknowledged that the marijuana was in the back of the pickup, under a topper, and deputies found nearly 60 pounds of marijuana inside boxes. Because the marijuana was such high grade, the street value was equally high. Vrbka estimated the confiscated cannabis to be worth about $336,000.

 

The couple told investigators that they were traveling from Clearlake Oaks, California and were headed to Vermont. They added that they intended to give away the marijuana as Christmas presents.

Vrbka said they also told deputies “they didn’t know it was illegal to transport marijuana in Nebraska.”

Doug Jones says Trump shouldn’t resign, says Dems should “move on”

After Al Franken resigned last month due to allegations of sexual misconduct, democrats have been rallying around cries for Trump to step down because of the numerous sexual assault allegations leveled against him by more than a dozen women. Today, Alabama Senator-elect Doug Jones spoke out against these voices, saying that he doesn’t believe that Donald Trump should resign, and that “we need to move on”.

Days after being elected in an upset in one of the reddest of states, Senator-elect Doug Jones had a message for his new colleagues: I’ll work with both parties.

The Alabama Democrat, whose long-shot candidacy was boosted by allegations of sexual misconduct against his Republican opponent, also said that President Donald Trump doesn’t need to resign, as some members of his party have urged.

“Don’t expect me to vote solidly for the Republicans or Democrats,” Jones, the first Democrat elected to the U.S. Senate from Alabama in more than two decades, said in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday.

“Those allegations were made before the (2016) election, and so people had an opportunity to judge before that election,” Jones said when asked whether Trump should resign. “We need to move on and not get distracted by those issues. Let’s get on with the real issues that are facing the people of this country right now.”

Man sues NFL team for protesting police brutality

A Morgan City man is suing the New Orleans Saints for a refund on his season tickets because some players have disrespected the national anthem before games this season.

Lee Dragna filed a lawsuit Monday in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna seeking a refund for the tickets as well as attorney’s fees, claiming the protest by some players against police brutality and racial injustice has prevented him and his family from enjoying the games.

Dragna said he hasn’t attended a game since the first home game of the 2017 season against the New England Patriots, on Sept. 17, when he said some of the players did not come out for the singing of the national anthem.

When they did come out, the suit says, “They passed directly in front of where the petitioner and his guests were seated. Many of the fans in that area booed and cursed at the Saints players.”

“Apparently, these players were following the lead of (former San Francisco 49ers quarterback) Colin Kaepernick by disrespecting the flag, the anthem, the USA and those who have served and are serving the USA in our military,” the suit says. “If you sell tickets to a gaming event for entertainment, you should not be allowed to turn it political.”

Dragna, a businessman in Morgan City, said Tuesday that the rowdy, angry reaction of the people around his seats has made the tickets unusable by him and his family, as well as customers he would otherwise give the tickets to.

He said the behavior of some fans upset by the protests — cursing, spilling beer — is “borderline dangerous,” though he said he thinks the responsibility for that behavior ultimately rests not with the fans but with owner Tom Benson.

“The Saints created that behavior by condoning it,” he said.

“It’s my thought pattern that (players) should not be allowed (to protest),” he said. “If you sell tickets to a gaming event for entertainment, you should not be allowed to turn it political.”

Kaepernick and a teammate, Baton Rouge native Eric Reid, began kneeling during the anthem in 2016 to protest the shooting of unarmed African-Americans by police.

Kaepernick sat for the anthem during the 49ers’ first preseason game that year, though he and Reid knelt from the second game forward after talking with a former NFL player who was a Green Beret in the U.S. Army and deciding that kneeling would be more respectful.

A few weeks later, news of the protest broke, stirring nationwide controversy. This year, President Donald Trump said on Twitter that team owners should fire players who kneel during the anthem.

On Tuesday, Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said Dragna’s lawsuit has been forwarded to the organization’s legal department and that there would be no comment.

Dragna also stated that he doesn’t want players protesting police brutality and racism to be heroes to his kids.

“I don’t want my kids growing up thinking that those are their heroes … and it’s OK to do that stuff, especially on TV and especially on your job site. That can’t be allowed to happen.”

While many will see this suit as frivolous, Dragna says it’s far from it, calling it “as honest as it gets.”

Brooklyn teen uses dying breath to name her killer

A Brooklyn teenager used her last few breaths to tell cops the name of the man who shot her after she spurned his advances — as she struggled through an agonizing 20-minute wait for an ambulance, according to police testimony Monday.

Sixteen-year-old Shemel Mercurius was fatally shot inside a Brooklyn apartment last year by a 25-year-old man who wanted to date her, authorities said.

Inside Brooklyn Supreme Court on Monday, at the trial of Taariq Stephens — who is charged with murdering Shemel — the courtroom heard from the hero patrol cop who had labored to try and keep her alive.

Shemel, a junior at Edward R. Murrow High School, was babysitting her 3-year-old when Stephens allegedly showed up at the Brooklyn Ave. apartment and shot her three times with a submachine gun.

Responding NYPD officers kicked down the apartment door to find a horrifying scene.

“There was a 3-year-old male child … covered in blood crying next to the victim,” said Sgt. Ryan Habermehl, who testified that he immediately called EMS.

“It took about 20 minutes for EMS to arrive,” said Habermehl.

Officer Kyle Thomas Daly found Shemel, bleeding heavily.

“I put on gloves, took her off the car and laid her down and began rendering aid … she regained consciousness, gave me her name and date of birth,” said Daly, who has since left the NYPD to join the Suffolk County police department in Shirley, L.I.

“It took a very long time for the ambulance to come, about 20 minutes,” said Daly.

While Shemel was in and out of consciousness, the dying teen told another detective that Stephens wanted to be boyfriend and girlfriend, but she wasn’t interested, Daly said.

Shemel and Stephens met at a daycare center a week before the murder and exchanged phone numbers, authorities said.

An ambulance arrived at 6:55 p.m. and Mercurius died at Kings County Hospital at 7:57 p.m., according to testimony.

Shemel, who lived with her aunt after moving to the U.S. four years ago from Guyana, had buzzed a friend into the East Flatbush building where she was babysitting moments before she was shot.

Lona Junien took the stand to describe what she saw happening between Stephens and Shemel when she showed up to visit her friend.

“The person pushed her. The person said ‘Don’t ever lie to me.’ She was screaming, he took out the gun and shot her,” said Junien, 18.

If convicted, Stephens faces 25 years to life in prison for second-degree murder and weapons charges.

Florida lawmakers attempt to give guns to felons

JACKSONVILLE, FL. – There’s an effort underway in the Florida Legislaturethat would streamline the process for felons to win back their rights to vote and own guns.

It’s against the law in the state for anyone found guilty of a felony to vote or own a firearm – unless the clemency board restores their civil rights, they’re pardoned or the conviction is expunged.

That would change with the passage of a measure proposed in the FloridaHouse, dubbed House Bill 903, which would give circuit and county judges a say on whether to reinstate a felon’s rights.

Currently, there are more than 1.6 million disenfranchised voters in Florida, the highest total nationwide, according to the nonpartisan research website ProCon.org.

State Rep. Cord Byrd, R-Neptune Beach, filed the unnamed bill Dec. 6. It would allow felons who have served their time and paid any related fines to make cases for their rights to be restored.

Under the bill, felons would be able to petition the court once a year. Prosecutors could challenge those efforts, with the opportunity to present witnesses and evidence supporting their case.

In a post on his professional Facebook page — Cord Byrd, the Florida Gun Lawyer — the freshman lawmaker stated that on average, felons wait over 9 years for restoration of rights.

Such cases are heard by the Office of Executive Clemency, a four-member panel led by Gov. Rick Scott.

“Over 22,000 applications are pending, with only a few hundred being processed each year. Clearly the system is broken,” wrote Byrd.

Byrd could not be reached for comment Tuesday morning.

Still, there are concerns that the legislation could flood the court system, creating a logjam of petitions.

Al Franken announces resignation

Man vandalizes mosque with bacon, gets 15 year prison sentence

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL – A man who vandalized a Florida mosque in January 2016 and left a raw slab of bacon on its doorstep was sentenced to 15 years in prison on a hate crime conviction, a state attorney’s spokesman said on Wednesday.

Michael Wolfe, 37, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to criminal mischief to a place of worship in a case considered a felony hate crime, said Todd Brown, spokesman for Florida’s 18th Judicial District, which includes Brevard and Seminole counties.

Surveillance video after the 2016 incident showed a man with a shaved head and camouflage clothing breaking windows, cameras and lights with a machete at the mosque in Titusville, Florida, near Cape Canaveral, police said.

Muslims are prohibited from consuming pork products including bacon, and hate groups have used pork products as a way to desecrate U.S. mosques, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations, or CAIR.

The Florida CAIR agreed with prosecutors and defense attorneys in determining Wolfe’s sentence, Brown said.

“The Florida Muslim Community is suffering an unprecedented number of hate crimes,” Florida CAIR spokesman Wilfredo Ruiz said in a statement issued on Wednesday. “Multiple mosques and Islamic institutions have been broken into, vandalized, and even set on fire.”

Wolfe was also sentenced to 15 years of probation, to be served after his prison sentence, Brown said

Suspected Tampa serial killer arrested

TAMPA, FL — One of the most intense dragnets in city history ended Tuesday with a tip to a police officer sitting in a McDonald’s doing her paperwork. The tip eventually led to the arrest of  Howell Emanuel Donaldson III, who is accused of randomly killing four people between 9 October and 14 November in Tampa.

According to police, the 24-year-old was detained on Tuesday afternoon at a branch of the burger restaurant where he had reportedly worked for two months. He had asked a manager to hold on to his loaded 9mm handgun, the Tampa Bay Times reports. The manager, unsure of how to respond, spoke to officer who happened to be inside the restaurant.

Backup was called and during questioning, police said Donaldson fit the suspect of the unsolved homicides. Donaldson has since been charged with 4 counts of first degree murder.

All four victims were either boarding or disembarking from a bus at the time they were shot:
Benjamin Mitchell, 22, a musician, was shot dead on October 9th while waiting at a bus stop.
Monica Hoffa, 32, a waitress, was gunned down on October 11th while walking to meet a friend.
Anthony Naiboa, 20, a mild autism sufferer, was fatally shot on October 19th while walking home from work.
Ronald Felton, 60, a construction worker was killed on November 14th.
Police say the suspect had also “expressed his intention to leave the state” and are grateful to all the help the community provided.

 

SOCIAL JUSTICE FOR ADULTS